Welcome

Elder Braden McDonald has been called to serve in the Brazil Rio de Janeiro Mission.

He will be returning on December 21, 2011 and will speak in Church on January 1, 2012.


Monday, October 31, 2011


Hey Everyone,

Happy Halloween for everybody, hope that it´s great and stuff. Is it starting to get nice and cool up there now? I´d imagine that it is. I´ve been really sad lately, thinking that in a few weeks I´m not going to be here in Brasil anymore, but I try to get these thoughts out of my mind.

Last night we had a really awesome Fireside that President and Sister Lima did in Arsenal about getting the members involved with missionary work; it was really awesome! They did a bunch of practices with the members about how to start talking about the gospel with friends, what to say and how to invite their friends to go to church with them. It was pretty funny. President called up a bunch of members up to the front by the pulpit and had them practice in front of everyone, it turned out really well. I thought that was an awesome idea. Afterwards, we went up and talked to President and Sister Lima and their daughters, they are an awesome family. President has such a powerful spirit. I feel so comfortable around him; I know that he is a man called of God. I am really going to miss having this special missionary Spirit; the Spirit seems a lot different on the mission than before. It´s a lot stronger I think.

I had a lot of cool spiritual experiences this last week with prayer and with helping some of the missionaries in our zone with the problems in their areas and with their personal problems as well. I
have learned a lot about how to listen to people and find scriptures and experiences to help them overcome their doubts and their problems. I know that this will help a lot in the future. I love my missionaries in my Zone, they are so good. This week, Elder Roque was emergency transferred and he went to Petrópolis to train another guy who just got here from the US. I was really sad that he left, he was one of my best friends on the mission, a really cool and funny guy. At least Elder Sanchez stayed though. Elder Sanchez in training as well, a really cool Elder, Elder Braithwaite. He is also from California and he´s a great guy as well. Really good spirit. He is adapting still, but he speaks really good Portuguese already.

This week, we went to Fonseca again to help Liliane´s family with more construction work in their yard. They are going to build another wall in back of their house, so we were their digging big old holes again, how fun. The only problem was that I forgot to put on sunscreen before I left and I realized this when we were on the bus to get there. So I asked Liliane if she had any sunscreen and she brings out this weird paste-type stuff. It looked like the putty that you put on walls to patch them up, so I was a little skeptical to put that on my face, but I did it anyway. :) I go into the bathroom to try and see what it looks like, and I look like I have clown paint on my face and the dang stuff didn´t rub in either. The biggest problem came when I tried to wash it off; it didn´t want to come off at all. So it got all over my eyebrows and I looked like I had grey eyebrows. At least now I know what I will look like when I´m an old man, and I didn´t look too bad heh heh. :) So after that, I decided it would be easier to just cover my neck and face with something. I had an idea. I asked her if she had a towel and if she could wet it down for me. She went and got it and then I put it on top of my head so that it was covering my face and my neck and everything. I looked like a shepherd now. She gave me a clothespin to keep it on so it didn´t fall off and I had some little latex gloves on that she thought would help so I wouldn´t get blisters (didn´t work by the way) and they didn´t last long at all. Sister Hochstettler was laughing her head off when she saw me and said I looked like a girl going to a tea party, because of the towel that looked like a wig and the white gloves that looked like I was going to drink tea. It was pretty funny. I didn´t get sunburnt though, so that
was good. And we got the holes all dug out, so that was even better. I like service projects. :)

So this week flew by, as well as the others. I love the mission so much, I don´t want to go home, like I always say. But oh well. I forgot to tell you also that our water in our house got mixed with the
sewer water so we had to take showers at a members house in São Gonçalo... Stinkin´ water. Well, I love you all, hope that you are all doing great. Hope that you all have a great week. Thanks for the birthday wishes!! I love you all!!!!

-Love, Elder McDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment