Welcome

Elder Braden McDonald has been called to serve in the Brazil Rio de Janeiro Mission.

He will be returning on December 21, 2011 and will speak in Church on January 1, 2012.


Monday, April 5, 2010

Conference Weekend in Brazil

This week was pretty crazy and busy, but it was definitely a good week as well. I don´t really know where to begin. I hope that you all had a good week and that you had an awesome Easter as well! I hope that you enjoyed Conference; I enjoyed the parts that I got to watch. On Saturday, I was on divisions with another elder trying to find people to bring to conference with us and we couldn't find anyone; we were waiting for a man to get ready and when we went back to pick him up, he wasn't even there. It was disappointing for sure.


We missed the first session, and when he finally got back, he couldn't go to the second session either, so we taught him a lesson and went to meet up with the other elders. We got into Âncora to find a lady and take her to Conference with us, but she wasn't home either. We left and went to Macaé and made it in time to watch the last part of the second session. The talks were really good; the music was amazing. Conference here was at 1-3, and then 5-7, so that we could watch it live from Salt Lake, too. Priesthood was from 9-11 at night, so we had to go the next morning and watch a re-broadcasting of it at about 8. So we had to get up early to go to Macaé again in time for that. The computer wasn't working for the American Elders to watch it in English, so we had to go in and watch it with everyone else in Português. It was good, but it was weird not hearing their actually voices.

And no, we didn't have a big Easter dinner, or lunch, or anything. We were fasting on Friday for more help this week and we didn't eat on Saturday really either, just like a sandwich in the car on the way to the second session was all. It is good though; it´s hard to find time to eat, too much to do.

Sunday, we brought three of our investigators to the first session and watched the last half of it again with them; it was such an amazing session. All of the talks and the musical numbers were awesome, the ones I saw anyway. I am glad I got to hear Elder Bednar and Elder Holland on Saturday Night in the second session cause they are two of my favorites. We got to see ALL of the second session on Sunday which was so awesome! It was an incredible session as well; I can´t believe that Conference is already over though! What the Heck? We had a baptism yesterday in between conferences as well and it was very good. It turned out really well; my companion baptized this boy named Orlando and it was an awesome experience.

 We had Zone conference as well in Niteroí on Thursday, another early morning for us. I can't remember what time we got up, at least by four I think. We took a little awesome car and headed to that. It was in a really nice chapel; so pretty! Right when we began the meeting, President asked for all of the new missionaries and all of the missionaries who were leaving to come up and bear their testimonies. I was the last of the new ones in our zone (there were three of us) It was pretty scary, but it was really good. The Spirit was very strong. Afterward, President came up to me and my companion and said: Você fala melhor que o todo mundo Elder McDonald. You speak better than everyone Elder McDonald! My face lit up and I was so happy! It felt so good to hear that from President because I have been working my butt off trying to learn and get better and have been praying and fasting a lot for the Gift of Tongues, and the Lord has blessed me tremendously. I still have a long way to go though! I remember the first day though, when I couldn't understand a word he was saying, and then at zone conference I understood everything! I understood about 95% of Zone Conference too which was a huge blessing. President is hilarious; he was telling us that if we don´t work our hardest, we are going to marry an ugly witch someday and be miserable forever. He told us that if we see a pretty Brazilian lady, just imagine her with a mustache and if her name is Maria, call her Antonio Maria, and that should help. Haha it was awesome! He is very funny but a spiritual giant as well. He really cares about each one of us and so does his wife. Zone conference was definitely a good experience for me and I learned a ton. We only get mail at zone conferences like every six weeks; it takes a long time for stuff to get here, but hopefully I will get your package by next zone conference. They sent that letter in February and it got here at the end of March, so it takes about a month to get here I think. I don´t know how it is with packages.

Anyway, time for some of the more humorous times. So the other Elders came back home at night from contacting, and they said that they saw a guy who was jogging with short shorts and no shirt who had his water bottle tucked in his buttcrack (Excuse my tongue). hahaha It was so funny, I was dying. They always have crazy funny stories. Oh, and every morning during study, without fail, there is an advertising car that drives down our street blasting Final Countdown by Europe and it is so annoying!  THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! nana nana, bada ba ba ba! It´s nuts. I´m trying to think of some other things that have been going on with us. We think we might have transfers this week which is really sad; I´m not ready for them yet. It feels like I just got here and I've only been here for a week. How is it April already? I´m excited to get that package though, I am missing candy for sure. The dessert here is so good though; they have some awesome things that I am going to learn how to make before I come home. Still got a while.

  The work here is progressing though. Some days you feel like you are about to collapse walking around the streets, but those are usually the days that you find awesome people and have really good lessons. The Lord recognizes our sacrifices and I have been so blessed while I've been here. I have recognized the tender mercies of the Lord everyday with learning more from the language and being protected. Brasil is a lot better when you actually understand what is going on :)

This Easter and this conference have meant more to me than ever because I am seeing the real importance. It occurred to me that we actually have a living Prophet on the earth today and what an amazing thing that is! I never realized what an amazing gift that is for us and how blessed we really are. I love you all! Have an awesome week.

Love, Elder McDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment